the python name

songbird songbird at anthive.com
Fri Jan 4 02:04:14 EST 2019

Rick Johnson wrote:
> songbird wrote:

>> if you want to know the perspective of a new person
>> to the language and to help out make it better i have
>> a few suggestions for where to spend your time in a
>> way that will help out people a great deal.
>
> I'm listening...

  i only get so many units of time to work on something.
the more rabbit holes i need to go down to figure out
a basic issue the less likely progress actually happens.

  detecting which type of system you are on and setting
up your package to install to the right location(s).
after [x] years this shouldn't be too hard and fairly
easy to find.  ugh.  add to that yet another layer for
which linux distribution...  double ugh.  the recommended
solutions are not really complete and they end up leading
you down even more rabbit holes.

  platform, os, sys, pathlib, distro (looks like they need
help).

  a test of any change to the setup involves an upload
which may take a half hour or more to show up, by then
i can be interrupted and not get back to it for days.

  there must be a more local way to do the same thing but
as of yet the develop option doesn't seem to work how i
would expect.  i'm not sure what my error is.  i'll have
to go back and look at documents.

  finding out all the caches and how to verify they are
either in sync or if you should clear them and how.

  i do have testers for Mac and Windows that can give me
feedback, but only the Mac person is a techie where i
don't feel like i'd have to be there in person (and also
i see some indication that Mac and Linux are both Posix
so perhaps nothing else needs to be done there anyways
once i figure out to get the manual page installed in the
right spot).  since i don't have a Windows machine it will
take me longer to figure that out and the few people i
have for that testing are not techies so i'd want to be
there when they did the install just to see how it went.

  songbird