the python name

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Jan 2 20:03:04 EST 2019

Challenge: Can we name any computer language whose name really would suggest it was a computer language?

Oh, if you say C is named as being the successor to some form of B, then R (as you mentioned) is the successor by some form of backwards reasoning to S as it started as not quite S or at least not as expensive. FWIW, T was already in use as a dialect of Scheme which was a dialect of LISP ...

And I was there when we were naming C++ as a slightly improved and incremented C. Yes, D was considered as well as odd names like Add-One-To-C. Oddly C# was not considered. 😊

So, Ada. First female programmer, at least on paper?

A Programming Language? APL.

The endless list goes on. I looked at one such list below and I thought I had learned quite a few but apparently a small fraction of what was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages

I think the name is the least important aspect of a computer language.