Python 3 Boto Unable to parse pagination error

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:06:14 EST 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a python 3 script that takes a list of AWS instance
IDs. It then prints out some information about the instances and then
terminates them.

I am very new to python, so still working through some basic issues.

This is the error I get when I run the script:

     python3 .\aws_ec2_termiante_instances.py
    Enter an instance ID separated by commas:
i-0463897140af217f8,i-0634fc5fa453462fb
    enter code here
    Deleting Instance IDs:
    i-0463897140af217f8
    i-0634fc5fa453462fb
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File ".\aws_ec2_termiante_instances.py", line 37, in <module>
        NextToken='string'
      File
"C:\Users\tdunphy\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\botocore\client.py",
line 357, in _api_call
        return self._make_api_call(operation_name, kwargs)
      File
"C:\Users\tdunphy\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\botocore\client.py",
line 661, in _make_api_call
        raise error_class(parsed_response, operation_name)
    botocore.exceptions.ClientError: An error occurred
(InvalidParameterValue) when calling the DescribeInstances operation:
Unable to parse pagination token

This is my script that produces the above output:

    from collections import defaultdict
    import boto3
    # Connect to EC2
    ec2 = boto3.client('ec2')

    instance_id_list = input("Enter an instance ID separated by commas: ")
    instance_ids_text = instance_id_list.split(",")
    print("Deleting Instance IDs:")
    for instance_id in instance_ids_text:
        print(instance_id)

    ec2info = defaultdict()
    for instance_id in instance_ids_text:
        instance = ec2.describe_instances(
            Filters=[
                {
                    'Name': 'string',
                    'Values': [
                        'string',
                     ]
                },
            ],
            InstanceIds=[
                'instance_id',
            ],
            MaxResults=123,
            NextToken='string'
        )
        for tag in instance.tags:
            if 'Name'in tag['Key']:
                name = tag['Value']
        # Add instance info to a dictionary
        ec2info[instance.id] = {
            'Name': name,
            'Instance ID': instance.id,
            'Type': instance.instance_type,
            'State': instance.state['Name'],
            'Private IP': instance.private_ip_address,
            'Public IP': instance.public_ip_address,
            'Launch Time': instance.launch_time
            }

    attributes = ['Name', 'Instance ID', 'Type', 'State',
                  'Private IP', 'Public IP', 'Launch Time']
    for instance_id, instance in ec2info.items():
        for key in attributes:
            print("{0}: {1}".format(key, instance[key]))
        print("------")
        ec2.instances.filter(InstanceIds=instance.id).stop()
        ec2.instances.filter(InstanceIds=instance.id).terminate()

To recap, what I would like to do is give the script a list of instance
IDs, print out the list of instance IDs, then print some info about those
instances. Then terminate them.

How can I get past this error and produce that result?

Thank you,
Tim

--
GPG me!!