Lifetime of a local reference

Alan Bawden alan at csail.mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 22:14:30 EST 2019

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:
>     def fun():
>         f = open("lock")
>         flock.flock(f, fcntl.LOCK_EX)
>         do_stuff()
>         sys.exit(0)
>
> Question: can a compliant Python implementation close f (and,
> consequently, release the file lock) before/while do_stuff() is
> executed?

A correct-but-fails-to-answer-your-real-question answer would be: "If you
_care_ about when f gets closed, then just call f.close() yourself."  So
if you want to be _sure_ the lock stays locked while you "do stuff", you
should write:

   def fun():
       f = open("lock")
       flock.flock(f, fcntl.LOCK_EX)
       do_stuff()
       f.close()
       sys.exit(0)

And now you don't have to worry about the details of variable lifetimes.

But I appreciate that that isn't the true question that you wanted to ask!
You are wondering if a Python implementation is _permitted_ to treat the
code you wrote _as if_ you had written:

   def fun():
       f = open("lock")
       flock.flock(f, fcntl.LOCK_EX)
       del f
       do_stuff()
       sys.exit(0)

which deletes the variable f from the local environment at a point where it
will never be used again.  (Which could cause the lock to be released
before do_stuff is even called.)

This is an interesting question, and one that any garbage collected
language should probably address somehow.  For example, the Java Language
Specification contains the following language:

   Optimizing transformations of a program can be designed that reduce the
   number of objects that are reachable to be less than those which would
   naively be considered reachable.  For example, a Java compiler or code
   generator may choose to set a variable or parameter that will no longer be
   used to null to cause the storage for such an object to be potentially
   reclaimable sooner.

(This is from section 12.6.1 of the Java 8 version, which is what I had
handy.)

So you're not crazy to ask such a question.

> I couldn't find an immediate answer in the documentation.

I suspect that given the history of Python, pretty much everybody has
always assumed that a Python implementation will not delete local variables
early.  But I agree with you that the Python Language Reference does not
appear to address this question anywhere!

--
Alan Bawden