revisiting the "What am I running on?" question

songbird songbird at anthive.com
Wed Feb 20 08:53:15 EST 2019

Thomas Jollans wrote:
> I'm fairly sure "win32" was used on W9x as well. In any case it *was*
> correct at the time, as early versions of Python also ran on DOS and
> Windows 3.1. "windows" would not have been suitable.
>
> But yeah, we're stuck with it. There are obviously good reasons that it
> wasn't changed when we moved to amd64, but it is annoying.

  to me it is confusing and looks outdated so it
did not give me much confidence i had found the
right thing to use and so i kept looking further.
if someone could put a note in the docs about
this it will likely help others.

  in this age where things look to me very fragmented
and then abandoned it is hard to know what is and
isn't being maintained without looking for issue
trackers and bugs and seeing if anyone is actively
fixing things or not (multiply this by the number
of modules being used and it drains more time).

  songbird