How do/can I generate a PKCS#12 file the cryptography module?

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:20:23 EST 2019

I’m using the cryptography module (https://cryptography.io/en/latest/) to try and generate some cert/key/identities.

It's pretty easy using said module to generate the contents of .pem file for a private key:

    keyPEMBytes = privateKey.private_bytes(
        encoding=serialization.Encoding.PEM,
        format=serialization.PrivateFormat.TraditionalOpenSSL,
        encryption_algorithm=serialization.NoEncryption())

It’s also easy to generate the contents of a .cer/.pem file for an associated cert:

    certBytes = certificate.public_bytes(encoding=serialization.Encoding.PEM)

But I need them (and their chain) balled up on a single .p12 (PKCS12) file. Said module documents how to parse/consume PKCS12 formats, but nothing (that I can find) about how one can generate them.

My understanding of PKI stuff is hit and miss though, so maybe I'm just not searching the right keyword in the documentation?

I can create the .p12 file at the command line on Linux using

    openssl pkcs12 -export -out myIdentity.p12 -inkey myPrivKey.pem -in myCert.crt -certfile myCertChain.crt

So I could just wrap calls like this with subprocess/cmd and mess with tempfiles/pipes. I was hoping to keep it all in memory/python though.

Is there a different python TLS library that I should be considering, that can do this?

(stack overflow version if you’re into the points and all that: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54677841/how-do-can-i-generate-a-pkcs12-file-using-python-and-the-cryptography-module)