Can't run setup.py offline due to setup_requires - setup.py calls home

Chris Narkiewicz hello at ezaquarii.com
Mon Feb 11 14:30:08 EST 2019

On 11/02/2019 15:57, Ben Finney wrote:
> All of the build dependencies, *including* the ones specified in
> ‘setup_requires’?

Yes. easy_install simply doesn't look there. If I provide
~/.pydistutils.cfg with a path to find_links, it works ok.

Config file in $HOME however is no-go for a CI or build servers, as I
have no control over automated build environment (launchpad.net in this
case).

> To avoid the Setuptools bug, the PyPA recommends dropping the
> ‘setup_requires’ option and instead specifying build dependencies in a
> PEP 518 formatted metadata file
> <URL:https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/293>.

Ok, I took Automat-0.7.tar.gz package and I modified it:
1) removed setup_requires
2) added pyproject.toml with content:

[build-system]
requires = ["setuptools-scm", "m2r"]

3) package is dropped into pypi directory with all dependencies.

However, when I try to install Automat from source, it doesn't work.

(venv)$ pip3 install --no-index --find-links=pypi --no-binary=':all:'
--no-cache Automat

I see that those build-time dependencies are not installed and build
complains about missing scm and m2r packages.

Is there any extra step I have to take?

Best regards,
Chris