Can't run setup.py offline due to setup_requires - setup.py calls home

Chris Narkiewicz hello at ezaquarii.com
Sun Feb 10 18:33:34 EST 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to build a debian package in offline environment (build server).

To build this package, I need to ship all python dependencies as source
packages and build them there. This is no problem for all, except one
package that has build-time dependencies: Automat-0.70.

debian/rules calls this pip to install all requirements from local
package collection:

pip3 install --log=... --no-cache --no-index --find-links=pypi
--no-binary=":all:" -r requirements.txt

Directory pypi contains ALL dependencies required for build.

This works ok when build server has connection to network, but fails for
offline builds. I pinpointed the problem to package Automat, that
specifies some dependencies via setup_requires=[...]:

setup(
    ...,
    setup_requires=[
        'setuptools-scm',
        'm2r',
    ],
)

Trying to build Automat locally by calling setup.py fails immediately in
my offline environment:

$ python setup.py
distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Download error for
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/39/e7/9fae11a45f5e1a3a21d8a98d02948e597c4afd7848a0dbe1a1ebd235f13e/m2r-0.2.1.tar.gz#sha256=bf90bad66cda1164b17e5ba4a037806d2443f2a4d5ddc9f6a5554a0322aaed99:
[Errno 111] Connection refused

Is there any way to stop Distutils from calling home?

Best regards,
Chris Narkiewicz