The slash "/" as used in the documentation

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Feb 9 15:16:32 EST 2019

On 2/9/2019 2:10 PM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>> '3.6.1 |Anaconda 4.4.0 (x86_64)| (default, May 11 2017, 13:04:09) \n[GCC
>> 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.57)]'
>>

>> Help on built-in function sin in module math:
>>
>> sin(...)
>>      sin(x)
>>
>>      Return the sine of x (measured in radians).
>>

>> The help is actually not written out to the terminal but, displayed in
>> the pager (less), and the first sin(...) is typeset in boldface.
>>
>> 	Christian
>
> Even simpler:

> help(len)
> Help on built-in function len in module builtins:
>
> len(obj, /)
>      Return the number of items in a container.
>
> both in python 3.6 and 3.7.
>
> This is weird.

This is the result of Python being a project of mostly unpaid volunteers.

See my response in this thread explaining how '/' appears in help output
and IDLE calltips.  '/' only appears for CPython C-coded functions that
have been modified to use Argument Clinic.  A.C. was added, I believe,
in 3.5.  Simple builtins like len would have been the first to be
converted.  The math module was converted for 3.7.  There are some new
conversions for 3.8 and likely some will be left for future versions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy