Loop with else clause

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Fri Feb 8 07:30:11 EST 2019

Wow, you dug deep.

My example was the reverse of the "toy example"'s you mention as I find
that often code becomes much clearer if you order it such that
specific cases, sanity checking and exceptions go first, and then the
default case at the end.

So my general suggestion would be to handle your empty list/no valid
candidates cases first,
and then do the for loop at the end.

If you style this with if/elif/else, or put return statements in
certain places, I have no opinion about and will depend on the specific
problem.

Cheers,

Adriaan Renting.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-October/006164.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-October/006155.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-October/006083.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-October/006054.html

> - one rather hopeful option (actual words to be used
notwithstanding)

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-October/006044.html

> Somewhat related, PEP 548 proposed an "More Flexible Loop Control".
This
> was addressing the confusion caused by break within a loop. It was
rejected.

> Each of the above addresses issues 'within', that is to say
happenings
> during iteration - whether the entire loop or iteration cut-short by
> break (and thus the idea that "else" might be re-worded to indicate
> 'after a break').
>
> However, as mentioned by one contributor, the specific use-case our
team
> faced was an issue that arises prior to the loop.
Alternately-expressed:
> that according to Python's logic, prevents even a single iteration of

> that loop. Thus, any 'solution' would reside outside of for and while

> statements because they only consider if a loop should continue or
> terminate - not handling the question of whether it should start at
all!

> PEP 315 is the only discussion (I've found) which looks 'outside' or

> 'before' the loop itself. It proposed an "Enhanced While Loop",
> attempting to separate 'setup' or loop control from loop content. It
was
> rejected.
>

> So, reading-around brought nothing much useful. Back to the
code-face...

> Thank you to the several folk who responded with ideas to
express/improve:

>      if list:
>          process_list() #the heading and for-loop, as above
>      else:
>          print( "Sorry...
>
> NB this is a constructed 'toy example' attempting to be the shortest

> illustration of use-cases and invented purely to communicate the need

> and structure. It was expected to be interpreted as
pseudo-python-code.
> (you'd not use/allow "process_list" as the name of a function, would
you?)

> (With apologies as necessary) one of the dangers of 'toy examples' is

> the reader taking them at face value, instead of as (over-)simplified

> illustrations. In 'real life' the loop code and the no-loop exception

> are both considerably longer than a single line. Accordingly, using a

> function would be a good way to summarise and self-document the
> activity, ie the if statement's two code-blocks would make the whole

> statement very/too-long (readability)!
>
> The "if list:" expression is overly-simplistic. The recommendation of

> "if len(list):" is absolutely sound, for reasons of polymorphism.
>
> In-lieu of a Python construct, there are definitely situations when
use
> of a sentinel makes better sense. However, given their risk, in many

> ways Python tries to avoid using such, eg consuming iterators until a

> StopIteration exception is returned. (includes files, is subsumed by

> ContextManagers...), thus "pythonic". That said, the classic use of
> for... else... is in searching for a particular element within an
> iterable which has all the hallmarks of a "sentinel".
>

> Today, kicking ideas around, I coded three other possible 'solutions'

> for the review team's discussions:
>
> One of these involves coding three functions: the decision (yielding
> boolean), the expected-case, and the unusual-case. The satisfaction
in
> this was readability factors with a simple if statement..
>
> Somewhat more complex, and I feel a bit OTT, was to sub-class list()
and