The sum of ten numbers inserted from the user

Schachner, Joseph Joseph.Schachner at Teledyne.com
Thu Feb 7 13:18:49 EST 2019

Well of course that doesn't work.  For starters, x is an int or a float value.  After the loop It holds the 10th value.  It might hold 432.7 ...   It is not a list.
The default start for range is 0.  The stop value, as you already know, is not part of the range.  So I will use range(10).

In the second loop, I think you thought x would be a list and you I'm sure you wanted to do
	for y in x:
but instead you did
	for y in range(x)
 and remember x might be a very large number.    So the second loop would loop that many times, and each pass it would assign y (which has first value of 0 and last value of whatever x-1 is) to sum.  Even though its name is "sum" it is not a sum.  After the loop it would hold x-1.  You wanted to do  sum += y.    Or sum = sum + y.   I prefer the former, but that could reflect my history as a C and C++ programmer.

And then you printed y, but you really want to print sum  (assuming that sum was actually the sum).

Putting all of the above together, you want to do this:

vallist =[]  	# an empty list, so we can append to it
for n in range(10):
    x = input("Insert a number: ")    # get 1 number into x
    vallist.append(x)                          # append it to our list

# Now vallist holds 10 values

sum = 0   # No need to start sum as a float, in Python if we add a float to an integer the result will be float. It doesn't matter in the program if sum is int or float.
for y in vallist:
     sum += y

print( "The sum is: ", sum)