Loop with else clause

David Raymond David.Raymond at tomtom.com
Tue Feb 5 09:31:20 EST 2019

As mentioned somewhere, "readability counts", so why not just go with exactly what you said...

if len(nominees) > 0:                #if a condition exists
    for nominee in nominees:         #the loop should be executed
        print(nominee)
else:                                #but if not
    print("D'oh! No one is worthy.") #something else should be done

The fancy features of the language can be cool and all, but forcing yourself to use them just for the sake of using them and "being pythonic" can result in weird situations, and wrong or unclear assumptions or intents. When someone else reads it later it may hide what you were actually intending the check to look for.

Hmm, "if nominees:" Did they make it like that to look for a 0 length list, or to make sure they didn't get None by accident, or both, or something different?

Hmm, "if len(nominees) > 0:" Ahh ok, we want to make sure there's something in there.

So my 2 cents: Feel free to be non-pythonic if it makes things clear and works.