Implement C's Switch in Python 3

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sun Feb 3 16:01:24 EST 2019

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM DL Neil <PythonList at danceswithmice.info>
wrote:

> > On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 8:09 PM DL Neil <PythonList at danceswithmice.info>
> wrote:
> >> Sure is. It is an acceptable alternative under the ISO standard.
> >
> > Not sure if you're responding to the content of the comment there;
>
> Comment? I don't see no #, ''', or """!
> (am teasing)
>

> [ccyymmdd cf ccyy-mm-dd]
> >> Some would say it is more sensible to use when storing data because it
> >> removes the dash/hyphen separators in exchange for implying the
> >> fixed-format. (more bytes/characters saved if extend to include the
> time)
> >>
> >> I'm not going there - recalling folk from these memory-is-cheap times
> >> being less able to understand why we used to save 'expensive' storage
> >> space by using yy-years (instead of ccyy) and thus 'causing' "the
> >> millennium bug" aka Y2K!
> >
> > Skipping the delimiter isn't about saving space, it's about
> > consistency. If I say "non-delimited sorted date", you can almost
> > certainly write out a character-for-character identical date - handy
> > if you want to search a bunch of files, for instance. Having
> > delimiters leaves people free to dispute whether they should be
> > slashes, hyphens, dots, or maybe something else.
>
> This logic indisputable.
>
> However, the whole purpose of an ISO standard is to remove "dispute",
> locally and internationally! Thus, if not sufficiently-well stated
> earlier, the standard is actually for information interchange purposes.
>

>  >> I find it much slower to decode than reading the same with embedded
>  >> separators!
>  > Sure. I mainly use it in contexts where the most important information
>  > is simply "that's a date", rather than actually caring what the date
>  > *is*.
> [paras re-ordered]
>
> +1
>

> In case other readers are following-along-at-home, and the (above)
> purpose of the standard was insufficiently obvious, I did a bit of
> review 'homework':
>
> - ISO standards are still not $free
>
> - a good write-up from the ISO appears on the Wayback machine at
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20110614235056/http://www.iso.org/iso/support/faqs/faqs_widely_used_standards/widely_used_standards_other/date_and_time_format.htm
> - the above makes the point about "interchange" and offers similar
> examples of date-confusion to those 'here'/earlier
> - mention is made of formats including/excluding delimiters
> (I haven't been able to check this, but can't find any evidence that
> separators other than "-" are allowed (in dates) )
>
> - in lieu of the ISO text, those of us working over the Internet will
> turn to RFC 3339
> - this is a slight simplification of the ISO standard
> - the ABNF appendix *requires* a dash/hyphen as (date) separator
>
> - Markus Kuhn at Cambridge (British university) provides a readable and
> thought-provoking summary at https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
> [...]

I'm surprised that no one has yet addressed the year 10000 problem.
Hopefully we're doing numeric, not alpha sorts on the stuff before the 1st
'-'. And, the compact versions will really screw up :).
--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca