Implement C's Switch in Python 3

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 21:51:20 EST 2019

I may be missing something, but the focus seems to be only on the rightmost
digit. You can get that with

	str(day)[-1]
or with
	day % 10

Problem: print 1..31 using suffixes such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ...

So your dictionary needs entries for "1" or 1 and "2" or "2" and of course 3
becoming 3rd.

And, frankly, you don't even need a dictionary as a one-liner will do.

Here is an example using a helper function:

""" Use last digit to determine suffix """

def nthSuffix(day):
    nth = day % 10
    suffix = "st" if nth == 1 else ("nd" if nth == 2 else ("rd" if nth == 3
else "th"))
    return str(day) + suffix

Output:

>>> for day in range(1, 32):