Friday Finking: Source code organisation

Dan Sommers 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Sat Dec 28 20:13:27 EST 2019

On 12/28/19 6:52 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:

 > On 29/12/19 11:49 am, Chris Angelico wrote:

 >> "Define before use" is a broad principle that I try to follow, even
 >> when the code itself doesn't mandate this.

 > But strangely, I tend to do the opposite for methods of a class. I
 > don't really know why. My instinctive idea of the "right" ordering
 > just seems to flip over somehow between modules and classes.

Me, too.  :-/  Could be one of two reasons:

(1) putting the public API at the top and pushing the internal/helper
functions towards the bottom (whether program, library, or class); or

(2) writing too much FORTRAN and/or BASIC early on, where execution
begins at the top, whether you want it to or not

Who puts a class's __init__ function anywhere except the very top of a
class definition (doc strings and class attributes that aren't "def"ed
notwithstanding), even when it calls some other method in the class?

Dan