distinguishable matplotlib colours / symbols / line styles

duncan smith duncan at invalid.invalid
Mon Dec 16 11:12:14 EST 2019

Hello,
      Not really specific to Python or matplotlib (but that's what I'm
using). I'm looking for a good combination of colours and symbols for
scatter plots, and combination of colours and line styles for line
plots. Too often I find myself producing these when I don't know whether
they will end up being printed in colour or greyscale. It would be a lot
easier if I could produce decent plots that would work well in either
case. I can find various stuff on colour palettes, but pretty much
nothing on symbols or line styles. Is anybody aware of an approach that
works well? I'm aware of issues with colour blindness and RGB versus
CMYK. Ideally I'd have something that I could just use that would deal
with all these issues. TIA.

Duncan