Aw: Re: stuck on time

Sun Dec 8 15:01:25 EST 2019

On 9/12/19 7:47 AM, RobH wrote:
> On 08/12/2019 16:49, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:44:54 +0000, RobH <rob at despammer.com> declaimed the
>> following:
>>> def print_time():
>>>       current_time = time.strftime("%I:%M")

>>> I don't know if that is the correct way as I am just using the code from
>>> the project I am trying to do
>>
>>     This is showing a severe lack of understanding in how Python itself
>> operates, leading me to recommend rereading a Python tutorial book before
>> attempting to hack into some one else's code.

+1
(in other words, agreement with others who have suggested that your
knowledge of Python and/or programming, is insufficient to cope with the
project you've set yourself)

> Err, excuse me, I was not attempting to hack into someone else's code.
> As the code is in the public domain, I wanted it to work as is, like it
> did for the author, without changing anything.

Please don't be upset. There are multiple understandings of the words
"hack" and "hacker". Whereas most 'computer people' take the word "hack"
to mean exactly what you are doing (and "crack" to refer to illegal
access or ill-intent); the sad state of journalism (and Hollywood) has
resulted in a confusion of the two.

Within the Python community, the word "hack" is used freely and without
rancour, and includes both the permitted use of someone else's code, as
you describe; and improving said code, as per @wlfraed's detailed
analysis of the code-base's short-comings, a few hours ago.

> So why should I now start to learn how python works.

Only you can answer this: is the effort required to bend the code to
your will, worth the pleasure or utility the result will bring?

Alternatively, look at how much time *volunteers* have thought
worth-while investing in helping you! (kudos @Karsten)

There is a safety issue here too. What if the original author had wicked
intent, and the code actually performs to your disadvantage. How would
you know? The only way is to inspect the code - reading it for example.

Following-on from the "hacking" comment, if the original author offered
it to you/the world, and uploaded this code to some public repo(sitory),
(s)he will also be happy for you/others to correct and improve.

Added to the observation that the code is missing parentheses, it would
seem that (this version of) the code would never work. Now that you have
discovered this, the conventions of "open source" are that you will
propose, or better still, supply a fix...

> If the code doesn't work for me after a fair trial, I'll move on to
> something else.

Frankly, given @wlfraed's extensive analysis of the code, I'd be
wondering about its utility too - but again, your assessment is the only
one that counts.

(If I am confusing two recent list-threads, I apologise)
If you are going to be experimenting with IoT and/or SBCs, the sad
reality is that it is not an area which has had time to 'collect' a body
of mature software. Accordingly, lots of the code made 'available' for
use will be in a fairly rough (or "early") stage. Thus, the greater
*your* skill-set, the more likely will be success - same as for any
hobby/work-project! Also, IIRC you are also short-cutting by using a
Pi-Zero (designed for application and roll-out) rather than a board
designed for experimentation - but I'm guessing, so again, please don't
take offense.
--
Regards =dn