Unicode filenames

Sat Dec 7 14:47:13 EST 2019

On 8/12/19 5:50 AM, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 4:00 AM Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>>> On 6 Dec 2019, at 18:17, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have some files which came off the net with, I'm assuming, unicode
>>> characters in the names. I have a very short program which takes the
>>> filename and puts into an emacs buffer, and then lets me add information
>>> that new file (it's a poor man's DB).
>>>
>>> Next, I can look up text in the file and open the saved filename.
>>> Everything works great until I hit those darn unicode filenames.

>> Do you get the error with python 3?
> I'm running this program on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10) and Python2.

> I've taking the coward's way out and renamed the 1/2 dozen files. Seems
> that it is when I grab a filename from the DB it is in unicode and the the
> textAtCursor() and then I am trying to open that file using a fork to a
> pdf-display program. This is all Q&D stuff so I'm going to file it under
> "mysteries of life" and live with it :)

Fair enough, for such small number no other solution could be as
efficient! My quick-and-dirty 'solution' would only work for (very few)
'old data files' being recognised/name-updated using Python3.

Insert here: obligatory warning about the deprecation of Python2 at the
end of this month/year...
--
Regards =dn