Unicode filenames

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Dec 6 13:17:48 EST 2019

I have some files which came off the net with, I'm assuming, unicode
characters in the names. I have a very short program which takes the
filename and puts into an emacs buffer, and then lets me add information to
that new file (it's a poor man's DB).

Next, I can look up text in the file and open the saved filename.
Everything works great until I hit those darn unicode filenames.

Just to confuse me even more, the error seems to be coming from a bit of
tkinter code:
 if sresults.has_key(textAtCursor):
        bookname = os.path.expanduser(sresults[textAtCursor].strip())

which generates

  UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments
to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal  if
sresults.has_key(textAtCursor):

I really don't understand the business about "both arguments". Not sure how
to proceed here. Hoping for a guideline!

Thanks.

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca