Application Preferences

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Aug 20 03:19:30 EDT 2019

> On 19 Aug 2019, at 20:37, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 18:01:17 +0000, dboland9 via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> declaimed the following:
>
>> Wow, what happened here?  I posted this to the Python discussion group as it is a Python question, not an SQL question.  That said, I agree with what you have said, and that was the plan.  Plans get changed.  A number of apps. allow the user to specify the location of data and configuration files, and for good reason.  Some folders are auto-backup in that they are either journaled or backed up multiple times per day.  I think that is the argument in this case.
>>
> 	The trick with allowing a user to specify said location is that, unless
> you use some standard location to store the redirection, the user has to
> always provide the location when launching the application. And if you are
> using a standard location for the redirection, you might as well use that
> for the configuration data (since redirected user data location can be
> stored in the config file).

I understood your requirements. User picks the folder to store app files into.
The app then needs to store that folder somewhere.

I would ask the user for the their preferred location and store that folder in a OS standard location.

I do exactly that with Scm-Workbench. The user picks the folder to check out repos into
and I store that choice in the standard location.

Barry