absolute path to a file

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 15:43:14 EDT 2019

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:28 AM Paul St George <email at paulstgeorge.com> wrote:

> On 16/08/2019 18:37, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 2:27 AM Paul St George <email at paulstgeorge.com> wrote:
> >> BUT does not work with
> >> | print('test2:',os.path.realpath(n.image.filepath))|
> >>
> >> This returns only
> >> |/image01.tif|
> >>

> >> Notes:
> >> Chris, I only mention the extra leading slash on my Mac in case anyone
> >> wonders why it is there. Python puts it there to escape the following slash.
> >
> > I still don't understand what you mean by that, because there's no
> > concept of "escaping" with these slashes. It looks like you're
> > actually working with absolute paths (starting with the leading slash)
> > when you want to work with relative paths (NOT starting with a leading
> > slash). The double slash isn't "escaping" anything, to my knowledge,
> > and Python would not add it.
> >
> >  From the look of things, you really are getting a valid absolute path
> > - "/image01.tif" is already absolute. It just isn't the path you want.
> >
> > ChrisA
> >

> Yes, perhaps I am using the wrong terms. I want to find the path that
> looks like this:
> /Users/Lion/Desktop/test8/image01.tif
>
> With such a path, I can find the image file. I cannot find the file with
> only /image01.tif
>
> It is safe to ignore what I said about the double forward slashes. I am
> not using these. I only observed their presence and made a guess at
> their meaning.

When your path starts with "/Users", that means the Users directory
which is found in the root directory of your hard drive. When your
path starts with "/image01.tif", that means that image01.tif needs to
be in the root directory. If that's not the case (which I highly
suspect), then you do NOT want a leading slash - just use
"image01.tif", which means the file should be in the *current*
directory.

ChrisA