Remote/Pair-Programming in-the-cloud

Fri Aug 2 16:52:59 EDT 2019

On 3/08/19 8:32 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 8/2/2019 5:10 AM, DL Neil wrote:
>> Please recommend a Python-friendly, bandwidth-respectful, (but
>> effective) system for pair-programming; where the 'pair' are
>> geographically separate.
> 'geographically separate' could range from in the same room to a
> continent away, as long as two people have separate keyboards and screens.

True! As long as the tech works...

My experience has always been two sharing one PC, ie taking-it-in-turns
to think or to type. Do you do it differently?

>> [I don't mind putting a bit of money into a good service, but $free
>> for preference and F/LOSS for principle]
> <List of apparently unsatisfactory alternatives snipped.>

Intended to show the survey so-far (has he done his own 'homework'?), to
save us from 'red herrings' but also to see if other approaches might
exist. (such as your next thought...)

> IDLE is Python-friendly, free, and FOSS.  I wonder how hard it would be
> to pair programming connectivity as an extension.  A couple of questions:
>
> 1. Do the systems you have considered operate as an editor + satellite
> terminal or as synchronized peer editors.

Always the former, the local devices are merely 'repeaters' (through a
web browser) of what is happening on the server. This at both edit and
run/test stages.

> 2. Do two systems connect directly peer-to-peer or through a server?

Exclusively the latter (thus far in the investigation).

--
Regards =dn