Fwd: [Python-ideas] Re: PEP: add a `no` keyword as an alias for `not`

Daniel Okey-Okoro danielokeyokoro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 16:38:02 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Daniel Okey-Okoro <danielokeyokoro at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Python-ideas] Re: PEP: add a `no` keyword as an alias for
`not`
To: Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>

> not a strong enough justification for breaking any code that uses "no" in
any other way.

This is a very crucial point I didn't consider.

What if we could lexically limit it to `if no {{everything else in the if
block}}`?

I think that would sufficiently protect us from unintentionally breaking
people's code.

> The bar for creating new keywords is extremely high

I'm grateful that it is. I think python is awesome. And I trust the
community/council to keep it awesome. If the idea doesn't make sense to
most people then I'm happy with it never getting picked up.

Just sharing an idea.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 1:12 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 6:09 AM Daniel Okey-Okoro
> <danielokeyokoro at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think that adding a `no` keyword as an alias for `not` would make for
> > more readable, simple, pythonic code.
>
> The bar for creating new keywords is extremely high. Simply making
> your code slightly more like English is not a strong enough
> justification for breaking any code that uses "no" in any other way.
>
> ChrisA
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/DJUKCQH3RA6HKCYUHOXBKDRCULJKB6LT/

Best Intentions,