How to catch a usefull error message ?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed Apr 24 14:01:28 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-23 21:03, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
> Le 23/04/19 à 21:48, MRAB a écrit :

>>> Into the lib:
>>>
>>> static int
>>> ImgProc_init(ImgProc *self, PyObject *args, PyObject *kwds)
>>> {
>>>       PyObject *tmp;
>>>       char *fname;
>>>
>>>       if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "s", &fname))
>>>           return NULL;
>>>
>>>       tmp = self->src;
>>>       self->src = PyUnicode_FromString(fname);
>>>       Py_XDECREF(tmp);
>>>       return 0;
>>> }
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> That function returns an int.
>>
>> If PyArg_ParseTuple fails, your function returns NULL, which is cast
>> to an int, 0.
>>
>> If PyArg_ParseTuple succeeds, your function returns 0.
>>
>> Either way, it returns 0.
>>
>> So how does the caller know whether the function was successful? Does
>> it check PyErr_Occurred?
>
> No, the caller is in a block try-except for that.
>
> The exact question here is why without a try-except I've the good one
> error and not in a try-except.
>
> The /return 0;/ is usual in a /Foo_init()/ function.

In an extension, if your C function has been called by Python then its
return type should (usually) be "PyObject*". It should return a
reference to an object on success or NULL on error.

Look more closely at the last example of section 1.2 at
https://docs.python.org/3.5//extending/extending.html#back-to-the-example.