Function to determine list max without itertools

Sayth Renshaw flebber.crue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 03:39:51 EDT 2019

Thank you for the advice everyone.

> The first thing to try is find every place where you update myMax, and

This was actually where I was going wrong. I was setting max but then overwriting it with item. Then kept checking item only to return myMax.

I went looking for other solutions as I thought I must be well off the path in the shrubs but I was actually close.

This is how I ended up. There may be better solutions but this works.

def maximum(listarg):
    items = list(listarg)
    myMax = items[0]
    for item in items:
        for i in items[items.index(item)+1:len(items)]:
            if myMax < i:
                myMax = i
            else:
                pass