Importing module from another subdirectory

Sayth Renshaw flebber.crue at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:35:27 EDT 2019

On Thursday, 18 April 2019 06:59:43 UTC+10, Rich Shepard  wrote:
> What is the proper syntax to import the model class in the model/
> subdirectory into a tkinter view module, e.g., activities.py? The syntax,
> 'import model as m' fails because it is not in the same subdirectory as the
> importing module.
>
> The program directory tree is:
>
> bustrac/
>     README.rst
>     bustrac.py*
>     controller/
>     model/
>     scripts/
>     views/
>
> Running pdb in python3-3.7.3 produces the same error:
> $ python3
> Python 3.7.3 (default, Mar 26 2019, 06:40:28)
> [GCC 5.5.0] on linux
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    File "/home/rshepard/development/business_tracker/views/activities_data_entry.py", line 1, in <module>
>      import model.activities as act
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'model'
>
> My previous use of python has had all files in the same directory so I've
> not before had to learn how to address this issue. Pointers appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Morning

Apologies I don't know the answer but went looking. This guide should answer the question. Didn't know it was so difficult to be honest.

https://chrisyeh96.github.io/2017/08/08/definitive-guide-python-imports.html#example-directory-structure

Then there was this rather long list of traps.
http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python_concepts/import_traps.html

Most guides say it was fixed in 3.3 but still seems quite confusing post 3.3

Cheers

Sayth