[Tutor] Questions

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Mon Apr 8 21:52:07 EDT 2019

Diana, I’m answering you via the Tutor list - please, the accepted protocol is to send all questions and answers to the list so answers can be seen by (and possibly help) others.

Having said that, I should have paid more attention to your original question, which is really going to require answers that are beyond the typical Tutor question level, so I’m also forwarding to the main Python list where you should be able to get pointers.

But let me ask, how much programming do you know? Python is a full-blown programming language, like Java or C.  Have you written programs before that, for example can accept a file name from a user, open that file, and read its contents?  If yes, then I apologize, and would point you at:

	https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-scrape-websites-with-python-and-beautifulsoup-5946935d93fe

	https://towardsdatascience.com/how-to-web-scrape-with-python-in-4-minutes-bc49186a8460

	https://realpython.com/python-web-scraping-practical-introduction/
or
	https://docs.python-guide.org/scenarios/scrape/

The next steps would probably involve loading that scraped data into Pandas:

	https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/getting_started/tutorials.html

	https://data36.com/pandas-tutorial-1-basics-reading-data-files-dataframes-data-selection/

	https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python_pandas

On the other hand, if your answer to my question is: “no” - then you should take a look at any of the really vast
collection of web sites devoted to Python learning.  Note that Python was originally designed to be a language that would be easy for beginners to learn.  It still is - I’d claim it is about the easiest -

>>> print( "Hello world!" )
Hello world!

Those lines were lifted from Alan Gauld’s learn to program web site.

Let us know how we can help.

Bill