Losing words

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 15:41:01 EDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:36 AM John Doe <john at johniedoe.com> wrote:

> On 2019-04-01, Roel Schroeven <roel at roelschroeven.net> wrote:
> > This is what 'while' is made for:
> >
> > def text():
> >      while True:
> >          mess = input("> ")
> >          s.send(bytes("PRIVMSG " + " "+ channel + " " +  mess  + "\n",
> > "UTF-8"))
> >

>  see it working thanks, indeed while is powerful, had to add colon to be able send a whole string but can
>  get it working with other loop while 1, I tried many ways to implement
>  it together but either I cant send or receive and print data from
>  someone sending datas to channel.
>
> def text():
>     while True:
>         mess = input("> ")
>         print(mess)
>         s.send(bytes("PRIVMSG " + " "+ channel + " " + ":" + mess  + "\n", "UTF-8"))
>
> text()
>
> while 1:
>     data = s.recv(4096).decode('utf-8')
>     print(data)
>     if data.find('PING') != -1:
>         s.send(str('PONG ' + data.split(':')[1] + '\r\n').encode())
>         print('PONG sent \n')

Yeah, definitely get to know the protocol or get a library. You cannot
depend on a single socket read representing a single message. You'll
need to properly parse the incoming stream; otherwise, you'll run into
other problems, like "my messages don't work if two of them come in at
the same time". There are IRC libraries on PyPI.

ChrisA