Losing words

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 13:20:11 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-01, Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

One problem appears to be that you're observing some behavior other
than what you expect (you see X when you expect Y).  You then jump to
the conclusion that your app is sending A instead of B.

Two bits of advice:

1) When asking for help, describe the unexpected behavior
   _that_you_actually_see_ not an unconfirmed underlying problem that
   you've assumed is causing that unexpected behavior.

2) If you think your app is sending A instead of B, then use a tool
   like wireshark to determine what your app is actually sending.

> (Try printing out the line you want to send before sending it, and
> compare it with the example commands in the RFC.)

What he said!  Adding a few print() calls can shed a _lot_ of light on
a problem.

Also: if reading the RFC doesn't help, use wireshark to compare
behavior of an app that works with yours.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I am a jelly donut.
                                  at               I am a jelly donut.