[OT] master/slave debate in Python

Léo El Amri leo at superlel.me
Wed Sep 26 06:59:01 EDT 2018

On 26/09/2018 06:34, Ian Kelly wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What I know about them is that they (and I am assuming there are
>> multiple people, because there are reports of multiple reports, if
>> that makes sense) are agitating for changes to documentation without
>> any real backing.
>
> The terminology should be changed because it's offensive, full stop.
> It may be normalized to many who are accustomed to it, but that
> doesn't make it any less offensive.

Come on ! I have nothing to add to what Terry said:
https://bugs.python.org/msg324773

Now, the bug report is still pointing out some places in the code where
the master/slave terminology is misused, for _technical_ reasons. And
none of us should be blinded by the non-technical motive of the
bug-report. We should do what we have to do, and just let sink the rest
of it.

> Imagine if the terminology were instead "dominant / submissive".
> Without meaning to assume too much, might the cultural context
> surrounding those terms make you feel uncomfortable when using them?

I couldn't care less as well. The meaning of words is given by the context.