[OT] master/slave debate in Python

D'Arcy Cain darcy at vex.net
Wed Sep 26 06:46:26 EDT 2018

On 9/26/18 3:58 AM, David Palao wrote:
> Hello,
> My opinion is that the terms "master/slave" describe well some situations.
> They could be seen by some people as offensive (although unfortunately
> sometimes true, even today) when applied to persons. But it is not
> offensive when applied to processes in a computer. They are not living
> entities.

Exactly.  It's like the word "bitch".  It's a perfectly good word when
used correctly but extremely offensive when applied to women.  Maybe we
should change the name of the language because calling someone a snake
is pejorative.  I bet the PC police could find many words in the
language that are offensive when applied to people.

Where is Lenny Bruce when we need him?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net