clever exit of nested loops

vito.detullio at gmail.com vito.detullio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:50:08 EDT 2018

Hi
Today I've added a couple of lines in my source code, and I'm very ashamed of it.
it "runs", and I know what it does (for now), but it's "too clever".
I have "abused" the "else" clause of the loops to makes a break "broke" more loops

    for i in range(10):
        print(f'i: {i}')
        for j in range(10):
            print(f'\tj: {j}')
            for k in range(10):
                print(f'\t\tk: {k}')

                if condition(i, j, k):
                    break

            else:        # if there weren't breaks in the inner loop,
                continue # then make anoter outer loop,
            break        # else break also the outer one

        else:
            continue
        break

the "magic" is in that repeated block... it's so convoluted to read... still it's very useful to omit "signals" variables or the need to refactor it in a function with an explicit return or other solutions.

is there any chance to extends the python grammar to allow something like

    for i in range(10) and not break:
        print(f'i: {i}')
        for j in range(10) and not break:
            print(f'\tj: {j}')
            for k in range(10):
                print(f'\t\tk: {k}')

                if condition(i, j, k):
                    break

with the semantics of break a loop if an inner loop "broke"?