compiling 3.7.0 from source with custom libffi path

Fetchinson . fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:30:41 EDT 2018

On 9/24/18, Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> wrote:

>>> Apparently the configure script uses pkg-config to locate libffi.[1] You
>>> should be able to get it to find your libffi by setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>>> appropriately (probably to "/opt/custom/lib/pkgconfig" ?)
>>>
>>> [1]: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/v3.7.0/configure.ac#L2936
>>
>> Thanks, tried it, but still no luck, exact same error message.
>
> Is there a .pc file for libffi? Can you run pkg-config manually, to
> check if it works, and finds libffi in your environment?

Yes, there is a .pc for libffi and if I first

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/custom

then pkg-config finds the necessary include path:

[fetch at fetch]$ pkg-config libffi --cflags-only-I
-I/opt/custom/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include

And of course this path is correct:

[fetch at fetch]$ ls /opt/custom/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include
ffi.h  ffitarget.h

And also the configure script correctly creates the Makefile:

[fetch at fetch]$ grep LIBFFI_INCLUDE Makefile
LIBFFI_INCLUDEDIR=      /opt/custom/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include

So I'd say everything should work but it doesn't, I reran ./configure
and also make of course.

Cheers,
Daniel