Need to find the centroid of a circular camera image

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Sep 23 21:29:43 EDT 2018

On Sunday 23 September 2018 16:24:23 Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 at 20:45, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> > save the image and locate the centroid of that saved image.
> >
> > Is there code to do that centroid math in somebodies "bottom desk
> > drawer"? Something I could download and control with a bash script
> > which I'm fair at?
>
> This is easy enough to in OpenCV. The code at the top of this page
> does what you want:
>
> https://docs.opencv.org/3.4.2/dd/d49/tutorial_py_contour_features.html

That looks like about what I'm looking for. Playing around this afternoon
I find the laser isn't terribly well aligned, but neither is the chuck
I've got it mounted in, so the beam path of the pattern 30" away ranges
in the 10-12 mm diameter area.  Way too big to just shine it straight
onto the imaging chip. So I'll have to interpose a frosted surface, and
focus the camera on that frosted surface in order to get that image path
on the cameras imaging chip. Problems, but not insurmountable.

Thank you very much, Oscar.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)