Need to find the centroid of a circular camera image

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Sep 23 15:42:56 EDT 2018

Greetings from a very poor python programmer, begging hat in hand;

I have an old lathe that has some bed wear, an linuxcnc has the
facilities to correct that.  But it takes me surveying the machine for
errors as the carriage is moved up and down the bed. Obviously I have to
know what the error is, before I can correct it.

The best way is to mount a gunsighting laser in a 38 special caseing in a
suitable adapter, and spin it in the lathes chuck, with a considerable
neutral density filter in front of it, take a time exposure long enough
to let the camera integrate the non-circular beam into a good circular
pattern as the spindle turns at 500 to 1000 revs, then close
the "shutter" save the image and locate the centroid of that saved
image.

Is there code to do that centroid math in somebodies "bottom desk
drawer"? Something I could download and control with a bash script which
I'm fair at?

Thanks everybody.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett