Python for System Verilog testbench

Dale Marvin dmarv at dop.com
Fri Sep 14 20:39:30 EDT 2018

On 9/14/18 11:41 AM, Bobby wrote:
> Hi George
>
> WOW!  thanks for the reply and specially thanks for using the word 'BDD'. I
> read the articles regarding BDD the whole day and understood the concepts.
> Now will get this Pytest test framework with pytest bdd plugin. I found out
> it follows this Gherkin syntax. Then I read about this Gherkin synatx. It
> also looks good specially for Verilog. Maybe the syntax I was following
> earlier is too complicated.
>
> Some more questions regarding this:
>
> - I read that there are other Python framweorks also
> for BDD like 'behave'. What do you suggest as a beginner is Pytest-bdd is
> easier or 'behave' ?
>
> - If I am able to successfully map the requirements in pytest-bdd following
> this Gherkins syntax, in the end what we get is Python code. To proceed
> further, will I have to use Python to Verilog parser for the final Verilog
> kind of structure?

Hi Bobby,
It's better to either bottom post, or inline your comments as the thread
gets mangled in the archives.

There is MyHDL that may be of some use: <http://www.myhdl.org/>

"MyHDL turns Python into a hardware description and verification
language, providing hardware engineers with the power of the Python
ecosystem."

It supports synthesis from the Python RTL Models:
<http://docs.myhdl.org/en/stable/manual/rtl.html>

- Dale