Object-oriented philosophy

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 7 20:06:50 EDT 2018

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 16:07:06 -0500, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>> In another case where I had a "bare exception", I was using it to see
>>> if something was defined and substitute a default value if it wasn't.
>>> Have I cleaned this up properly?
>>>
>>>   try
>>>     id = xmlmodel.attrib['name']
>>>   except KeyError:
>>>     id = "constant power"
>>>
>>> (Both changes appear to meet my intent, I'm more wondering about how
>>> pythonic they are.)

Yes, catch the direct exception you are expecting. That's perfectly
Pythonic.

>> There's an alternative that's recommended when the key is often absent:
>>
>>     id = xmlmodel.attrib.get('name', "constant power")
>
> Oh, I like that much better than what I showed above, or how I "fixed"
> it cross-thread. Thanks!

However, if the key is nearly always present, and your code is
performance-critical, calling the "get" method has the slight
disadvantage that it will be slightly slower than using the try...except
form you show above.

On the other hand, the get method has the big advantage that it's an
expression that can be used in place, not a four-line compound statement.

If I don't care about squeezing out every last bit of performance from
the interpreter, I use whatever looks good to me on the day. That will
often be the "get" method.

But on the rare occasions I do care about performance, the basic rule of
thumb I use is that if the key is likely to be missing more than about
10% of the time, I use the "LBYL" idiom (either an explicit test using
"if key in dict" or just call the dict.get method).

But don't stress about the choice. Chances are that any of the three
options you tried (catch KeyError, check with "if" first, or using the
get method) will be good enough.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson