Any SML coders able to translate this to Python?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 7 08:59:46 EDT 2018

On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 13:48:54 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>> The request was to translate this into Python, not to slavishly imitate
>> every possible semantic difference even if it won't actually affect
>> behaviour.
>
> I trust Steven to be able to refactor the code into something more
> likable. His only tripping point was the meaning of the "let" construct.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

However I have a follow up question. Why the "let" construct in the first
place? Is this just a matter of principle, "put everything in its own
scope as a matter of precautionary code hygiene"? Because I can't see any
advantage to the inner function:

Sure, it ensures that r is in its own namespace. But why is that an
advantage in a function so small? Perhaps its a SML functional-
programming thing.

Putting aside the observation that recursion may not be the best way to
do this in Python, I don't think that the inner function is actually
needed. We can just write:

def isqrt(n):
    if n == 0:
        return 0