Can't drop files on python scripts in a fresh installation of Windows 10 and Python 3.7

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Mon Sep 3 02:12:22 EDT 2018

Python itself runs fine, but when I try to drop a file on a script it just doesn't work.

If I try to regsvr32 the shell extension, it says: The module "c:\windows\pyshellext.amd64.dll" failed to load.

There was no indication of any problem until this. Apparently it is linked against "VCRUNTIME140.dll", not (or in addition to? peview shows both) the universal CRT.

Installing the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable resolved it, but there was no instruction for this.