Accessing clipboard through software built on Python

Tim Daneliuk info at tundraware.com
Sun Oct 28 12:14:54 EDT 2018

On 10/27/2018 08:17 AM, Musatov wrote:
> I am wondering if Python could be used to write a program that allows:
>
> 1. Highlight some text
> 2. Ctl+HOTKEY1 stores the string of text somewhere as COPIEDTEXT1
> 3. Highlight another string of text
> 4. Ctl+HOTKEY1 stores another string of text somewhere as COPIEDTEXT2
>
> THEN
>
> 5. Ctl+HOTKEY2 pastes COPIEDTEXT1
> 6. Ctl+HOTKEY2 pastes COPIEDTEXT2
>
> I found "pyperclip" and "Tkinter" but I don't know where to start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Musatov

I am able to do this with clipboard (pip install clipboard).

However, the highlighted text must be copied explicitly:

Highlight
Ctl-C

In Python:

TEXT1 = clipboard.paste()

Highlight again

TEXT2 = clipboard.paste()

X actually has several clipboard buffers and it can be tricky to get this going.  I don't recall,
but either clipboard or pyperclip have a way to get to them all IIRC ...

HTH,
-Tim