PEP 394

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 20 13:00:08 EDT 2018

On 10/19/2018 3:03 AM, Anders Wegge Keller wrote:
> Short and simple: Do you expect PEP 394 to change status or
> recommendation when official support for Python2 ends in 13½ months time, or
> at least some time thereafter?
>
> For those that don't have the habit of memorizing PEPs, 394 is the one
> stating
>
> * python2 will refer to some version of Python 2.x.
> * python3 will refer to some version of Python 3.x.
> * for the time being, all distributions should ensure that python, if
> installed, refers to the same target as python2, unless the user
> deliberately overrides this or a virtual environment is active.

This only applies to *nix.
On Windows, there is a better solution: the py launcher.
 > py      # launches the most most recent version installed*
 > py -x   # launches the most recent x.y
 > py -x.y # launches x.y if installed, else lists installed versions

* At first, 2.x took precedence over 3.x, but this has since been switched.

I believe at least one core developer is working to port this to *nix.
I believe at least some core developers hope that this will make 394
obsolete.

--
Terry Jan Reedy