Package creation documentation?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Tue Oct 16 11:15:29 EDT 2018

       Where can I find a reasonable tutorial on how to create a Python
package?

       I've not created a Python package before, and I want to. Sadly,
I'm having trouble finding reasonable documentation on how to do so.

       According to the Python 3 Glossary, "a package is a Python module
with an __path__ attribute."[1]

       I found "packaging.python.org", which recommends "Packaging
Python Projects"[2] and "An Overview of Packaging for Python".[3] I
failed to find "__path__" in either.

       I've started a project on GitHub for this, which includes what I
have so far toward building a Python package I want along with RStudio
Rmarkdown Documents summarizing what I've tried so far.[4]

       What would you suggest I do to understand what I should do to
create a "__path__ attribute" for this, and what I should do after that?

       I have decades of coding experience, but only a small portion of
that was with Python, and that was roughly 7 years ago.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-package

[2] https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/