ESR "Waning of Python" post

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Oct 16 03:00:07 EDT 2018

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid>:

> Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:
>>> Right, if I need near realtime behaviour and must live
>>> with [C]Python's garbage collector.
>> Or any other GC ever invented.
>
> There are realtime ones, like the Azul GC for Java, that have bounded
> delay in the milliseconds or lower. The total overhead is higher
> though.

I'd be interested in a definitive, non-anecdotal analysis on the topic.
Do you happen to have a link?

One reference I found stated there was no upper bound for heap use:

  A second cost of concurrent garbage collection is unpredictable heap
  growth. The program can allocate arbitrary amounts of memory while the
  GC is running.

  tice/>

If that worst-case behavior were tolerated, it would be trivial to
implement real-time GC: just let the objects pile up and never reclaim.

Marko