Python indentation (3 spaces)

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 07:06:06 EDT 2018

On 14/10/18 09:06, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

>>> Well, no. The idea of "just use tabs" isn't have a different tab width
>>> per language, but a different tab width per user.
>>
>> You work in a different environment than I do.  for me, tab width
>> varies from one project to another (sometimes even in the same
>> language).  I don't get to pick just one tab width.
>
> You probably don't because you use spaces, not tabs.
>
> If everybody used tabs, why would anyone care about your tab width?
> Unless they look over your shoulder while you are typing, they won't
> even know how wide your tabs are.

If you used two-space tab stops and I used (the normal :-) eight,
comfortable indentations for you would rapidly become uncomfortably
large indentations for me.  I'd care about that.  I'd also care if you
used spaces to make sub-tab stop adjustments to line up appropriate text
(inside brackets, for example).

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd