Python indentation (3 spaces)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Oct 15 07:02:45 EDT 2018

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> I don't understand your point here. It prints a letter, then some
> spaces, then a tab, then another letter. On my terminal, that displays
> the tab by advancing to the next tab position. If I highlight to
> select, it's obvious that the spaces have not been collapsed or
> converted in any way; it is indeed printing that many spaces, then a
> tab. Universal default? Not very.

The point is that your tab stops are at every 8th column even if some
other tab stops were used in your editor.

Unless you configured your terminal (emulator) with the same tab stops
as your editor.

Then, you'll need to configure your printer, browser and other visual
tools that have the every-8th-column-tab-stop default.

Marko