[Python-Dev] [RELEASE] Python 3.7.1rc2 and 3.6.7rc2 now available for testing

Ray Donnelly mingw.android at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:48:46 EDT 2018

Hi Ned,

I tried to report this on bpo, but it's not letting me log in for some reason.

I ran into a problem trying to build 3.7.1-rc2 on macOS for Anaconda
Distribution. I debugged it a little so hopefully this is useful?

The error is:

checking whether float word ordering is bigendian... unknown

This happens because by default, clang on macOS still generates 'fat'
binaries so the greps introduced in
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/2a9c3805ddedf282881ef7811a561c70b74f80b1
find both noonsees and seesnoon.

If we add `-arch x86_64` to our `CFLAGS` then we get a successful
build, so perhaps this should be added in the configure stuff when we
detect macOS?

Best regards,

Ray Donnelly,
Anaconda Inc,