Is this mailbox manipulation working by luck, or can't I understand my own code?

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Sat Oct 13 12:55:04 EDT 2018

Chris Green schreef op 13/10/2018 om 17:15:
> I use a Python script (called directly by '| <name of script>' in
> .forward) which routes incoming mail to various mailboxes according to
> the mailing list it's from (plus a few other criteria).  The first
> lines of the program are:-
>      msg = mailbox.mboxMessage(sys.stdin.read())
>      #
>      #
>      # Extract the To:, Cc: and Subject: headers and the envelope/from
>      #
>      msgcc = msg.get("Cc", "unknown").lower()
>      msgto = msg.get("To", "unknown").lower()
>      msgsb = msg.get("Subject", "unknown")
>      msgfm = msg.get("From", "unknown").lower()

> Can anyone suggest how this might be working?  What will those
> msg.get() calls return?

I think your question is answered by this quote from the documentation
(https://docs.python.org/3/library/email.message.html):

"*The conceptual model provided by an EmailMessage object is that of an
ordered dictionary of headers coupled with a payload that represents the
RFC 5322 body of the message, which might be a list of sub-EmailMessage
objects*. *In addition to the normal dictionary methods for accessing
the header names and values*, there are methods for accessing
specialized information from the headers (for example the MIME content
type), for operating on the payload, for generating a serialized version
of the message, and for recursively walking over the object tree.

The EmailMessage dictionary-like interface is indexed by the header
names, which must be ASCII values. The values of the dictionary are
strings with some extra methods. Headers are stored and returned in
case-preserving form, but field names are matched case-insensitively.
Unlike a real dict, there is an ordering to the keys, and there can be
duplicate keys. Additional methods are provided for working with headers
that have duplicate keys."

I.e. email.message instances provide the get() method because it is one
of the "normal dictionary methods" you can use to access the headers.

More specifically, get() is documented as
(https://docs.python.org/3/library/email.message.html#email.message.EmailMessage.get):

"Return the value of the named header field. This is identical to
__getitem__() except that optional failobj is returned if the named
header is missing (failobj defaults to None)."

Watch out for headers with duplicate keys (like multiple Received:
headers): use get_all() for those
(https://docs.python.org/3/library/email.message.html#email.message.EmailMessage.get_all).

--
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."

Roel Schroeven