Single DB connection during class's lifetime. Metaclass,singleton and __new__() examples and references.

Ryan Johnson rj.amdphreak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 14:28:22 EDT 2018

Thanks for the clarification.

If I am creating a class variable, are you suggesting I perform the “if it exists, great, otherwise make it” logic in the __init__ block or in the class definition block? Will that even run in a class definition? I never see examples do anything besides assignment operations and flow control, although it would follow that if the block allows creation of strings (an object), it would allow creation of connection objects. On the other hand, the __init__ block seems like a natural place to put the cursor instantiation.

>From this answer ( https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25577578/python-access-class-variable-from-instance/25577642#25577642 ) the pythonic way to access the class variable is using type(self), but doesn’t this access the local class’s variable, if someone subclasses my class? Can I specify my class variable via the class name itself? Example: instancevar = ClassName.classvar .
I am hoping that because of the way python points labels to objects, this should give my instance an instance var that refers to the class var. Am I right?

RJ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10