Overwhelmed by the Simplicity of Python. Any Recommendation?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:06:40 EDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Kaan Taze <bkaantaze at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Since this is my first post to mail-list I'm kind of hesitant to ask this
> question here but as many of you spend years working with Python maybe some
> of you can guide me.

Hey there, welcome! :)

> I do what I need to do with Python too but I was kinda shocked
> when I solve Python questions at Hackerrank. Even with list comprehensions
> you can implement in very smart way to get things done and easy.
> Iterations, string operations.

There are many many different ways to write code, and you can approach
your coding challenges from all sorts of directions. My recommendation
is: Pseudo-code first, then implement in actual Python.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode

Note how, in the Wiki page, there are a number of different forms of
pseudocode. You're free to develop your own particular style. In
general, pseudocode is a bit more rigorous than plain English, but
less than actually-executable code. Once you have some pseudocode
written, make as few changes as you can, getting it to be runnable. In
other words, you want your final code to look as much like pseudocode
as you possibly can. Python is great at this; the syntax lends itself
well to that style of writing. (In fact, when I'm teaching JavaScript,
I often push students towards a pseudocode style that looks a lot like
Python code.) Code should express an algorithm, not showcase your
ability to wield language features :)

Hope that helps!

ChrisA