Observations on the List - "Be More Kind"

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Fri Oct 12 06:19:09 EDT 2018

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:07 AM Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That's the best code of conduct I've ever read ... 10/10, would read
>> > again.
>>
>> For 4chan, maybe.
>
> He said "would read again". I absolutely agree. This is a CoC that is
> worth reading again.

Realistically, it's quite too hostile for "normal people[1]" -- and
would likely never fly anywhere (although, a few weeks ago, I'd have
said it'd fit on the LKML).

That being said, I'd rather see a "blatantly hostile" document defining
the rules of conduct for a place, rather than one whose hostility is
derived from interpretation (that is, whether or not something is
"against" the rules depends on the mod, and whether or not they had
coffee this morning, and whether or not you generally get along with
them).

Note that both examples above are merely the extremes to which we can
go, and that perhaps giving a "normal person[1]" examples of both, we
would get a document somewhere in the middle that, while a compromise,
would be better than anything we've as yet seen.

[1]http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/tact.html

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947